Church Thoughts on Thanksgiving

I wasn't even planning on writing a blog this morning, but I woke up earlier than planned with a lot on my mind. Lindsay probably won't be up for at least another hour, more likely two. So I'm left with you, the random passerby on the internet. Happy Thanksgiving!

The first thing I did was hop in my car and drive down the road. I had to pick up a roaster from my mother's house to cook the turkey in today. Everyone is coming over to our house this year. It feels sort of weird being the hosts. I guess that is part of growing up. I went 30 mph in a 55 mph zone the whole way there. It was somewhat relaxing despite the sheet of ice on the road.

Anyway, Lindsay had a Christian station on. I don't usually listen to Christian music; I'm a talk radio type of guy. So please excuse me for pointing out something that has been played a thousand times over.

These lyrics from the Casting Crowns song were very touching:

If We Are The Body

It's crowded in worship today

As she slips in trying to fade into the faces
The girls teasing laughter is carrying farther than they know
Farther than they know

Chorus:
But if we are the body
Why aren't His arms reaching?
Why aren't His hands healing?
Why aren't His words teaching?
And if we are the body
Why aren't His feet going?
Why is His love not showing them there is a way?
There is a way

A traveler is far away from home
He sheds his coat and quietly sinks into the back row
The weight of their judgmental glances
Tells him that his chances are better out on the road

Jesus paid much too high a price
For us to pick and choose who should come
And we are the body of Christ

Jesus is the way
It's a sorry state for the church in America that a song like this has been written. Not that it is a bad song, but that there are wasted lives that have influenced the writer. I want to live my life and be in a church that lives their life in such a way that nobody will ever be able to rationally think that about me and my church.

***

I've been putting a lot of thought into church leadership lately. This tenure as a complete layman outside of any form of leadership has taught me a lot.

Here's what I've come up with. Let me know what you think if you think anything.

My definition for a healthy church is a church where the body of believers are individually seeking and growing in their relationship with God. They try to be selfless and seek his kingdom.

Also, please understand that there are beliefs and actions that aren't up to the leading of the Spirit. We are to be loving. We are to be in Christ. Etc. However, many times God seems to have specific ways that those universal truths need to be lived out on a local level. I write so many disclaimers.

In a healthy church, the direction the church needs to head in is born out of the desires of the congregation. The job of the leader is more of helping the congregation fulfill the calling they are receiving. He is a vision catcher and disperser. He helps people turn the nudgings on their heart into concrete actions for their life.

If I was the pastor of a healthy church, my job would be to listen to the leadings of the congregation. God is working in their midst. He is inhabiting their lives. His Spirit is guiding all of us, so I would not have the sole attention of God's guidance. He would be working through everyone to bring us where he wants us to be.

In an unhealthy church, things would probably be somewhat different. I don't think I would want to minister in an unhealthy church. I guess I might just be selfish.

***

I won't be posting things tomorrow because I have to leave for work by 6:00.

Watch out for potholes but they might be filled with ice.