The Best Freeware for Your Computer - Easy How To Clean Up and Speed Up Your Computer

Last edited: February 2, 2015

My computer, which celebrated its first birthday a few weeks ago, was lagging terribly. If possible, I try to not pay for my software. I play around with a lot of freeware registry cleaners, firewalls, anti-virus, and the like. It was time to fix the problem, so I searched around for what were the newest and best programs to get a computer running like new. This list is a compilation of what I installed, ran, and used. It successfully made my computer run like new. The programs on this list are made for the non-expert who just wants to install some programs, run them once in a while, and make their computer run better. I choose the simpler programs because I have to install them on my father-n-law's computer and he needs to be able to use them. All of these are free of charge for personal use. Just make sure you click on the right downloads on the respective download pages.

Here are my picks.


Best Cleaner:
SlimCleaner - It removes temp files, history, and other junk that can take up space and compromise your privacy.


Best Disk Defragmenter:
Auslogics Disk Defrag - It's a fast defragmenter that you can set and forget. If you have an SSD hard drive, do not run a disk defrag.

Best Free Spyware Program:
Super Anti-Spyware - This is a new one that I recently downloaded and it removed a lot of stuff that Spyware Doctor left on my computer. I recommend running two different spyware programs because they will each find some that the other left untouched.

I also run Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. This is a great program that helps sniff out things that other programs might not.

Best Toolbar Remover:
Adwcleaner - This is a program that searches for and deletes Adware, Toolbars, Potentially Unwanted Programs (PUP), and browser Hijackers from your computer.

Best Driver Updater:
SlimDrivers - It updates system drivers to make your computer run better. It prevents device errors and can even lend quicker repairs to future problems.

Best Program Remover:
PC Decrapifier - It helps remove programs, unnecessary startup items and icons that can slow down your PC.
Following is some other freeware that I use that is not security or maintenance related.

Best Photo Program:
Picasa - This program does it all and makes it very convenient to order photos.

Fix Windows 8:
Classic Shell - Turn Windows 8 into something that look, feels, and operates like Windows 7.

Best WordPad Replacement:
EditPad Lite - I use this on my computer whenever I would have used WordPad. It is a great program.

Best Office Suite:
LibreOffice - If you want to be legal and legit, this is a free office software suite. It's like Microsoft Office but free. It is what I use on my computers that I have not purchased all of the Microsoft software. I just set the program to save the file in Word or Excel format so the files are quickly available to email to a teacher, friend, or anyone for that matter.

Best Adobe PDF replacement:
Foxit Reader - Adobe is bulky. This is fast. Allows you to open, view, create and print any PDF file.

Best Bible Program:
WordSearch Basic - This is my downloaded Bible of choice. It is a free entry-level Bible software platform for anyone who desires to read and study God's Word.

Although I found some of these freeware on my own, I must also give recognition to Gizmo's Tech Support Alert, which highlighted some of the software I was not using. Gizmo provides a much more thorough list of freeware for almost every possible use.