On Being Christian and Non-Violent - Leaving the Violence to God

This is in reply to the reply in my previous post from Irish Mist. It was long enough to warrant it's own post.

I don't believe God is not violent. I think I posted thoughts on how he could be responsible for the hurricanes. My point was that we don't know whether he did it or not, but I don't believe it is outside of his will to cause a hurricane to strike a city.

So I have no problem with God being violent and smiting people or causing catastrophes. But just becaue God does that in his infinite wisdom, does that mean we can do the same? I haven't been able to make that leap yet.

Also, I was just trying to explain why I felt uncomfortable, a feeling that many people have told me was inappropriate. Mark Twain's War Prayer was a big reason for my feeling that way. I did not mean my post to be condescending. However, I do think that any time we disagree on a subject it can appear condescending because we believe we are right and the other side is wrong. I guess that is the nature of belifs. However, I do believe I could be wrong. I just haven't been persuaded.

Here are a few verses that I have trouble with and cause me to believe the way I do.

Romans 12:19 - "Beloved, never avenge yourselves, but leave room for the wrath of God; for it is written, "Vengeance is mine, I will repay, says the Lord."

Matthew 5:39 - "But I say to you, Do not resist an evildoer. But if anyone strikes you on the right cheek, turn the other also."

I don't know how I can interpret those verses in a way that allows me to take things in my own hand and inflict violence. I feel that I have to leave the violence to God.

Watch out for the Potholes.