One Step


I sit around moping, wondering why continue on. Why write another article? Why preach another sermon? Why do this? Why do that? It doesn’t seem to matter. Things don’t seem to be working. You might feel the same way with different activities.

It seems that most of what I do is fruitless.

I remember sitting in the crowd at the Rock 4 Water wondering if God had really wanted me to put this on. Had I just made up that leading? I felt he did. But then less than a 150 people showed up despite promoting it as well as I could. I felt sorry for the musicians traveling here and investing their time to sing to such a small crowd. I felt pathetic despite enjoying the music.

I wish I was like Superman. Always able to do the right things, say the right things, and be invulnerable to the plight of humanity. Maybe I am Superman, but oxygen is my kryptonite.

So I sit and mope.

And then God tells me that it isn’t about me. The concert. It wasn’t about me. The sermons. They’re not about me. This article. It’s not about me.

Everything I do is supposed to be about God. If I felt his leading to do something, then he will bring about his will through it when I am faithful and do what I have been led to do. The results are sometimes not visible to our physical eyes. But over time, things start to fall into place. This blessing happens. A joy springs forth. Life makes sense. God knew what He was doing after all. I wasn’t as confused as I thought. And it’s like a single ray of revealing light beaming through a cloud.

One step. That’s all we see. While he sees the journey he has planned for us. We just see the next step. Often, it’s around a corner or up a hill. We can’t see what direction where we are going. But he knows. And he leads.

Are we listening?

"It is the Lord who goes before you. He will be with you; he will not leave you or forsake you. Do not fear or be dismayed" (Deuteronomy 31:8 ESV).