Special Introductory Offers - The Deceptions We Use In Evangelism

I was laying on the couch trying to get better. I'm coming down with the flu and am missing the gathering today. This popped in my head as I laid there.

I would love to get DIRECTV. About once a month we get fliers in the mail for their great introductory offer. They always offer something like $30/month for all their channels and a DVR recorder. I could almost swallow that. But then in the fine print it tells me that after the three month introductory period I will be paying around $45 for just the basic and local channels. I hate introductory offers. Just give me a good long-term deal, and I will sign up. I feel that I must be in the minorit in looking at what things really cost because they wouldn't keep using these tricks.

Credit Card companies are kings of the special introductory offer trick. For six months, they will give you a good rate, and they post that good rate in large letters all over their websites and mailings. After six months, they feed you to the wolves. That's usually when the fine print kicks in. Just type credit card offers in your search engine. You won't find a legit offer. Everything will be special introductory offers. In order to find out what the credit card will eventually cost you, you will have to read the fine print. Did I mention that I hate introductory offers?

Then I encounter Christian evangelism. We sometimes use the special introductory offer principle. We act like salesmen pitching a product. We highlight all the positive aspects. And then we move in for the sale. "Become a Christian and all these things will be yours. Love, joy, peace, patience, and a nice house up in heaven." We love our special introductory offer package. We offer it to everyone. We never mention the cost. Did I mention that I hate introductory offers?

"If any want to become my followers, let them deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me. For those who want to save their life will lose it, and those who lose their life for my sake, and for the sake of the gospel, will save it. For what will it profit them to gain the whole world and forfeit their life?" (Mark 8:34b-36).

That doesn't sound a like a special introductory offer to me. There is no higher price to pay than giving up one's life, but that is what Christ asks for people to do. It is time for us to take up our cross and hang our selfish selves on it. Christianity is total commitment. It isn't part my life and part the life of Christ. Our life needs to become the life of Christ.

I think Jesus hates special introductory offers.

Watch out for the potholes.